Since our trip to Paris, work has been tough, we have a lot of changes coming up that we've announced but haven't fully communicated to the staff, so we will be starting that this next week. It's been a lot of work, but will be good and necessary for the future.
This week we had a 5 day weekend for the Aid (which is the largest holiday in Morocco) it's the holiday of Sacrifice, where each family gets a ram or bull and kills it, roasts it and gives part to the poor and part to neighbors and eats the rest. So during this holiday I'm working at home each morning. But on the Aid I went to some friends' apt to spy on the neighbors to see how this all happens. We watched one family from their patio. I should give some background, the last two weeks, sheep pens have cropped up all over the city like fireworks stands around the 4th of July. You see guys stuffing sheep into taxi trunks and carrying them all over the city. It's actually humorous. My neighbors had a sheep, noisy thing, bah'ed all night, I think he knew he wasn't going to live much longer. So on the morning of the Aid, I got up quickly as I didn't want to be in the street when the sacrificing began as the mosque across the street was still doing chanting. On the way to my friends' apt it seemed like every guy that I saw was carrying a large knife and a bucket. All I could think was today wasn't the day to make anyone mad. So back to the spying... we watched as the men rigged up meat hooks to drain the rams. But the best part was when we decided to walk around, we walked out of their 4th story apt and 3 stories below on the landing were the neighbors doing their sacrifices. So from a safe (3 stories up) we watched as they slit the jugular, drained, hung, skinned, and gutted 3 rams. I'll have to get some of the pictures from my friends. If this wasn't disturbing enough we eventually ventured out and apparently they roast the heads whole, if that isn't a site to see a rams head complete with horns on a homemade spit. So needless to say it was worse than any branding day or butchering day that I've every participated in as a kid even if they were put in the same day. We went to the roof and found that was the best place to see a lot of sacrifices taking place. Its odd to be 8 stories in the air watching all the other people killing animals on their roofs. So the whole city smelled like burnt fur, and was hazy. I was so grateful for the rain that day to clear the air because that would have just been an awful stinky mess later, and frankly it still is. I was in my friends' neighbors building and the hallways and elevator stink like blood.
Last night some girls and I went to a cafe to meet a friend that one of them has made from France, we hung out with him and his Moroccan friends, it was the first time we've been able to sit and talk like adults with any Moroccan males. I know this sounds weird but, it's just discouraged of women to do, as being seen with a man other than a male relative could ruin her reputation. I'm very glad that my culture has moved past that. So we were asked to attend a rugby match, and we stuck a deal as a lot of us girls would like to go to a soccer game, but don't have enough male co-workers willing to go to a game to be safe. So I told them we'd go to the rugby match if they took us a to a soccer game (as 8 Moroccan guys with 3 American girls wouldn't be too noticeable versus a large group of Americans), little did he know that I like rugby and we would have gone anyway. But this way we get to go to a soccer match too :)
So today I'm going over to watch a Pride and Prejudice (the BBC version) marathon today. I miss everyone a lot and have started a list of things that I want to do when I'm back visiting.
No comments:
Post a Comment